Sunday, October 25, 2009

Cooking Extravaganza!





Today was a pretty leisurely day - we got some big fluffy white snow here in CO - so it felt like JUUUUST the right day to cook up a storm in the kitchen.

For breakfast, it was pancakes from scratch with fresh strawberry jam (Thanks Ashley!). It was my first time making pancakes at a high altitude, and I must say, they were great! I found some really helpful "high altitude cooking tips" online, and edited my recipe (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Good-Old-Fashioned-Pancakes/Detail.aspx) from there.

THEN - I decided to try my hand at making rice pudding from scratch.

Rice pudding is a fave of my husbands, my dads, and my bosses, and I am staying with my boss in the upcoming week, and my dad is visiting the next - so I figured - perfect time, let's do it.

I edited the recipe that I got from allrecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rice-Pudding/Detail.aspx) by scalding the milk with a split Madagascar vanilla bean in it - chucking the bean once the milk was heated - and I'm thinking it was because of the altitude, but it took me over an hour to cook it. It came out great - (see picture) - and I am confident that I can replicate it for my company.

While the rice pudding was baking - I finished knitting up the body of "Sheldon" a cute little turtle that I have yet to decide the recipient for (though I do have an idea). (See pictures)
He looks a little funny without his shell and legs, but according to the images on the pattern, he's coming along well.

We're up to dinner - Guinness Burgers! I kinda winged this on - no recipe, but they were delicious! Ground meat, 21 Seasoning Salute (god bless Trader Joe's), garlic powder, panko breadcrumbs, a little olive oil, vinegar, and salt, and a healthy amount of... you guessed it... Guiness Stout! Some tomatoes, onions, pickles, and ketchup - and we were in business. Bellisimo!

Well, I am off to have some rice pudding and make some legs for poor Sheldon.

Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment